BMCHS Wire, Jan. 26, 2015
Bishop Manogue Catholic High School
Educating Through Faith, Leadership, Knowledge, and Compassion
- Jan. 26 – 30, Catholic Schools Week
- Jan. 28, Late Start (9:05 am )
- Jan. 28, 10:30 am, Catholic Schools Week Mass. White Oxfords, please
- Jan. 28, 6 pm, Redfield Scholars Dinner
- Jan. 29, 6 pm, BASH Parent Volunteer Meeting in the SCC. All are welcome. Contact email@example.com for questions.
- Feb. 2, 7:20 am, Mass in the chapel. All are welcome.
- Feb. 3, American Math Competition, 7:30 am; Senior Lunch; Parents Association Meeting, 6 pm, SCC
- Feb 4, Late Start (9:05)
- Feb. 5, 2:45, Mass in the chapel. All are welcome; Blood Drive
- Feb. 6, 8th Grade Preview Day; Alumni Association Mixer at Brickie’s Tavern, 5 pm
- Feb. 7, 6 pm, Manogue Ski Team Basque Dinner at the Santa Fe; Silent auction, too! Details here.
- Feb. 9, 7:20 am, Mass in the chapel. All are welcome.
- Feb. 11, Late Start (9:05)
- Feb. 12, 2:45 pm Mass in the chapel. All are welcome.
- Feb. 12, 6 pm, Junior Parent Night in the SCC. All junior parents AND STUDENTS are encouraged to attend for important information on preparing for the college application process. If you are unable to attend, the presentation will be posted on the counseling page. If you have questions please email either the academic counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or the college counselor at email@example.com.
- Feb. 13, 6 pm Sierra Performing Arts fundraiser, Spotlight on Talent. Details here!
- Feb. 14, 1 – 4 pm, Actors Workshop at Bishop Manogue.
- Feb. 16, President’s Day Holiday
- Feb 17, 5:30 pm, Mardi Gras Party, Bring the whole family! All proceeds benefit Northern Nevada Children’s Cancer Foundation. We will be collecting blankets, socks, and gas station gift cards for the children and families helped by NNCCF. Bring your donations to the event, or drop in the main office. Click here for details.
- Feb. 18, 1:30 pm, Ash Wednesday Mass. White Oxfords, please.
- Feb. 21, 5 pm St. Teresa of Avila Crab Feed! Details here.
- Feb. 23, 7:20 am, Mass in the chapel. All are welcome.
- Feb. 24, 5:30 pm, Protecting God’s Children class at the Diocese of Reno Pastoral Center, 290 S. Arlington Ave. Call Jane O’Conner at 775-326-9445 to register.
The Calendar has more…
Last weekend, our Color Guard was at the Northern Nevada Black Cultural Awareness Society dinner honoring the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King. There were more than 700 attendees. Thank you Cassy McElwee (commanding), Annelise Laughlin, Makayla Regan, and Michael Hendrickson for representing us so well at this important occasion.
Nice article here on Derek Novsek and our boys basketball program!
Read the latest Miner Messenger—our magazine for alumni, friends and family. AND read the January issue of the Good News in Catholic Education—good stuff from our all our Diocesan Schools.
Get on Track
Preseason sessions for Track and Field happen each Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 to 4 pm, on the track. All interested athletes are encouraged to attend. Link to the 2015 Track and Field Schedule here.
A Note (And Recipe!) From the Londons
Thanks to all of those who helped with the January Senior lunch. Suzanne Shapiro for coordinating all of the volunteers, all of the volunteers, Jackie Allen, Annie Turner, Christine (gluten-free cupcake queen!) and Dave Silva, Janet Smagala, Wendy’s, Carlos from Sonic, Caesar’s, and the Seniors for participating in the Michael London Bazinga Bowl. Your help on this journey is and was, greatly appreciated.”
The Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe as requested:
1 cup balsamic vinegar; 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard; 1.5 Tablespoons minced garlic; 3 cups olive oil; Italian seasoning or salt and pepper to taste: Put vinegar, mustard and garlic in blender, with motor running, in a slow steady stream, add olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning with Italian seasoning or salt & pepper. Texture should be creamy. Enjoy! With thanks & gratitude, The London Family
Gearing up for a Good Time
B.A.S.H., our biggest fundraiser of the year is April 25! If you would like to donate an item for our live or silent auction, contact Debbi Lehr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-336-6060. If you’d like to help out, join our volunteer meeting on Jan. 29, 6 pm in the SCC. You can satisfy your parent service hours in no time helping with this great event benefiting Tuition Assistance. If you’d like to be part of the party, check www.bishopmanogue.org/BASH2015. Tickets available very soon!
Protecting God’s Children-One More Chance
A Protecting God’s Children class will be held on Tuesday, February 24 at 5:30pm in the Diocese of Reno Pastoral Center, 290 S. Arlington Ave. Participants need to call Jane O’Conner to pre-register. Her number is 775-326-9445. This is currently the ONLY PGC class on the Diocese schedule, so all parents who have not taken the course, but would like for volunteer for upcoming sports and events (baseball, softball, BASH, lacrosse, etc.) should PLAN TO ATTEND!
First Semester Report Cards
First semester report cards will be available online via MyBackpack beginning Jan. 23
- Log on to MyBackpack
- Under the “My Profile” heading, select “My Documents.”
- Click on the appropriate link.
Report cards will not be mailed home, but can be printed from MyBackpack.
Be A Host?
Help! We are seeking a Host Family for a 10th-grade Foreign Exchange student. This young man is from Eckernforde, Germany and would like to become part of the Manogue family for the 2015-16 school year, but he won’t be able to have that wonderful experience if we don’t find a host family for him by March 31. He is quiet and speaks English fluently. He enjoys swimming, hockey, skiing and loves pets.If you are interested in providing a home-away-from-home for a young person who wants to see new places, learn new things, and meet new people, please contact Jeny Hill at email@example.com as soon as possible. By U.S. law, we cannot provide compensation for hosting an Exchange Student, but there is still much to be gained by sharing with and learning from these bright and adventurous kids. Please consider it!
Manogue Meets MidTown
Save the date, March 8 at 2 pm, for Manogue Drama’s first Winter play to be performed at Reno Little Theater! Watch for more details! Plan to be there!
The Spring NIAA Drug/Alcohol and Concussion Presentation has been rescheduled to Wed., Feb. 25, 2015 at 6 pm in the Student Community Center. Athletes and their parents must attend this meeting once per school year. Spring athletes who have not participated in a Fall or Winter sport should plan to attend this meeting! Spring athletes must also have a current sports packet and physical on file (required annually). Download the sports packet here or pick one up in the office.
The Manogue Alumni Association is holding a casual mixer for all the grown-up members of the Manogue family on Feb. 6 at Brickie’s Tavern, 5 pm till whenever. There’s no fee, no agenda, and no excuse not to drop by and enjoy some time with friends. All Manogue parent, grandparents, staff and alumni are welcome.
Seniors: The James Lathrop & Wayne Capurro Memorial Internship Program in Wildlife Management is an internship for seniors who are planning to pursue a degree and career in wildlife management or another conservation-related profession. Please take a look if your child falls in to this category! Click here for the application. Packets must be received no later than 5:00 pm on March 20, 2015. This is competitive program, so please pay particular attention to the qualifications described in the packet.
Juniors: The Garaventa Center for Catholic Intellectual Life and American Culture is holding an essay contest for current juniors. There will be two top winners and three honorable mention awards. Authors of the top two essays will receive $500 and honorable mention will receive $250. Click here for the essay prompt and further details. Deadline to submit is to Ms. McClintock no later than 3 pm Monday, February 16, 2015.
Bishop Manogue has reserved 25 spots for JUNIORS to visit the UNR campus on Friday, March 6. This full day campus visit lasts from 9:30am until 3:30pm. You will need to arrange your own transportation to the campus and check-in with Ms. McClintock upon arrival. The sign-up sheet is on Mrs. Welmerink’s door and is first-come, first-served.
- February 1 is the UNR Scholarship deadline to have a complete application for admission on file with UNR. A complete application for admission includes an official high school transcript with grades through the end of junior year, official SAT or ACT scores sent directly from the testing agency, and the actual online application for admission. If you have already applied to UNR, please check your MyNEVADA account to ensure that UNR has received all of necessary documents. Students who accept admission to UNR in MyNEVADA prior to February 1 also have the OPTION of completing the “Graduate & Undergraduate Scholarship Application” in the supplemental forms section of MyNEVADA. Students who wish to receive the maximum amount of financial aid for the year should also submit their 2015-1016 FAFSA to UNR (code 002568-00) before March 1.
- The next SAT Test and SAT Subject Tests will be offered on January 24. The registration deadline for this test date has passed. The next SAT test date is March 14. No SAT Subject Tests will be offered on this date. The regular registration deadline for this test date is February 13.
- The next ACT test will be offered on February 7. The registration deadline for this test date has passed. The next ACT test date is April 18. The regular registration deadline for this test is March 13.
- Seniors: Mid-year transcripts will be sent to all schools in your Naviance list by the end of next week (January 30).
- Juniors: Want to spend at day at UNR? Bishop Manogue has reserved 25 spaces for our juniors to visit the UNR campus on a Nevada Bound visit day on Friday, March 6. This is a full-day campus visit (9:30am-3:30pm). You will be responsible for coordinating your own transportation to and from the UNR campus. Sign up on Mrs. Welmerink’s door in the counseling office.
- Sophomores: PSAT results were distributed in Religion classes last week. Students also set up online accounts with College Board and Naviance. If you were not in class and would like your results, please see Mrs. Avansino in the Counseling Office.
- The FAFSA is now available! Parents of seniors who plan to enroll at a college or university in Fall 2015 should begin completing this form as soon as possible. You do not have to complete it in one sitting; you can save your progress. It is most helpful if you complete your 2014 taxes first. However, you may also estimate the information required based on your 2013 tax return and then edit the form after completing your 2014 taxes. Both the student and the parent will need a PIN to complete the FAFSA. If you do not yet have a PIN, go to https://pin.ed.gov/ to obtain one. If you have questions about filling out this form, take a look at this helpful post on The College Solution blog that contains a link to a new free e-book about filling out the FAFSA.
Each month, we will focus on a new topic related to college admissions. This month’s focus is on standardized testing.
Want free practice questions for the PSAT, SAT or ACT? The SAT offers a Question of the Day, Sample Practice Questions, a full practice test, and free videos from the Khan Academy. ACT also offers a Question of the Day and sample questions on their website. Sophomores can find sample questions for the re-designed PSAT that will be offered in October 2015 here.
Scholarships for 2015-16
Manogue Scholarships for the 2015-16 school year are now posted on our website at www.bishopmanogue.org/Scholarships. New scholarships are posted as they become available so be sure to check the page frequently for additions.
Parent Service Hour Opportunities
Remember that parents must have completed necessary steps to be a volunteer and/or driver to be eligible to acquire parent hours. You can always check for parent service hour opportunities on the website.
- It’s time to get involved! There are many volunteer opportunities for BASH 2015 to be held on April 25. If you are interested in helping, contact Debbi Lehr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-336-6060.
- Athletics needs volunteers to work the gate during home basketball games. Click here to view times and dates, and contact Abby LePeilbet at email@example.com if you can help.
- Parents interested in working in the Campus Store should contact Bonnie Hansen at 775-336-6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
From Campus Ministry
- CATHOLIC HEART WORK CAMP is July 26 – Aug. 1. Adults and students interested in participating should contact Mr. Cobb at 775-336-6010 or email@example.com.
- Click here for the 2014-15 Retreat schedule.
- Click here to see the calendar of this year’s scheduled Masses
Bishop Manogue Catholic High School is currently recruiting for the following positions:
- IT Technician: This position provides helpdesk-style computer support and training in a combination Microsoft and Apple environment, and is the backup to the IT Supervisor for the school’s server and networking systems. Please see the complete job description here.
- Substitute Teachers: all subjects. Must have current NV Substitute Teaching endorsement.
Interested applicants please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Marion Hammond at 775-336-6011 for more details.
Look the Part
Parents, please remind and encourage your child to comply with the school Dress Code Policies as outlined in the Student-Parent Handbook beginning on page 21.