Scholarship Value – Up to $5,000, renewable
This scholarship honors the memory of John and Claire Magaldi and is available to a Bishop Manogue Catholic High School incoming freshman student. John Magaldi, originally from Brownsville, PA, served as President of the Bishop Manogue Parents Association. A parishioner at Immaculate Conception parish in Sparks, John chaperoned Manogue dances, drove students and cheerleaders to away games, loved football, golf, cards, socializing, and, in his younger days, flying airplanes. John died in June, 2005. Claire Magaldi, originally from Norman, Oklahoma, was a Regent of the Catholic Daughters of America, and joined her husband as a parishioner at Immaculate Conception parish in chaperoning dances, driving students to away games, letting cheerleaders crash and eat whenever they wanted, loved cards, socializing and crossword puzzles. Claire died in September 1986.
Established and funded by the Magaldi’s daughter, Deborah M. (Silveira) Brodeur, a graduate of Bishop Manogue’s Class of 1969, this scholarship will be a tuition only, need-based scholarship in the amount of $5,000 per year. The award may be renewable for all four years if the recipient maintains satisfactory academic and other school criteria as determined by the Bishop Manogue scholarship committee. A renewal application must be completed annually.
All candidates must meet the following Bishop Manogue requirements for scholarship:
1. Family must show financial need and have not only applied for tuition assistance by submitting a Smart Aid application and been verified by Smart Aid in order to be considered.
2. Have acceptable standards of behavior as set in the Bishop Manogue Parent/Student Handbook
3. Be current with Bishop Manogue Christian Service Hour requirements.
Specific requirements for this scholarship are:
1. Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (transcript required).
2. Reside in the greater Sparks area.
3. Provide two letters of recommendation from two teachers or one teacher and one school administrator attesting to the student’s character and academic ability.
If at any time during the award year the student does not maintain acceptable standards of behavior as set in the Bishop Manogue Parent/Student Handbook and/or a minimum GPA of 2.5, this scholarship can be withdrawn.
** Incomplete applications will not be considered**